My dad is quite simply the best. I got this picture of him this morning while he was pointing out some ants on a tree while walking back from the meadow with my girls.
Ruby and Clara love their Papa. I’m thankful they have grandparents who love them enough to stop along the way for teachable moments.
Here are a few more things he talked to them about as we walked:
- he showed them a path through the meadow where the deer have worn down the grass and dirt from walking the same route so often
- he took them all the way to the back corner of the meadow to find a honeysuckle bush blooming with sweet-smelling flowers they could pick to take back home for Grammy
- he encouraged them as the went “up, up, up” and “down, down, down” the grassy hill.
- he pointed out little white butterflies to chase as they flew up from underfoot
- he answered questions about which path was the one back to Grammy and Papa’s house and which paths went other places
- he helped Ruby stay on the path so she wouldn’t get poison ivy
- he explained why we wear bug spray on our socks when we’re in the woods
Theres a lot to learn, and I’m so happy that my dad imparts wisdom along the way.