This is the Mother’s Day card that Ruby made for me at preschool today. Other than seriously aging me, most of her answers are amazingly accurate. I’ve never been the sentimental type, but I’m saving this Mother’s Day card forever!
If the image is too small, here’s what it says:
All About Mom
Let me tell you about my mom.
My mom is 45 years old. She likes to write lists, my daddy always puts cheese on the list. The best thing she cooks is spaghetti. Her favorite food is burgers. Her favorite thing to do to relax is go to sleep. We like to play games together. She is really good at using scissors. As you can see, my mom is special because she always plays playdough with me.
“I’m pushing my cheeks down so I can see my necklace”
I couldn’t make this stuff up. If ONE child can say this many hilarious things I can only imagine what most preschool teachers hear on a daily basis from the kids in their classrooms!
- “I’m going to say ‘SURPRISE’ soon.” (…thanks for letting me know.)
- Every morning from under the crack of her bedroom door I hear, “I’m awake! I’m awake! I’m awaaaaaaaaaake!!!”
- When she wants to watch TV she always asks, “Can you put on a show for me?” then she gets all frustrated when I start singing and dancing and act like I didn’t realize she meant a TV show. “Oooohhhh, you mean you want to watch Dora? Oh, okay!”
- “I love my new ball so much! It’s SOOO purple and I love it SOOO much!”
- “Are you punishing me? Am I getting punished?”
- We were coming out of a public restroom the other day right as a woman was coming in. Ruby said, “Oh, that old lady is going potty too, mommy!”
- Everything in the past happened “Last week.” Her birthday was last week, “Last week at the zoo the brown bears were hibernating,” last week she went to school, last week was christmas, everything happened last week.
Here she is on her first day of school. She LOVES preschool. Loves loves loves it.
- Everyday that she’s not at school she talks about how she can’t wait to tell her teacher…, “I can’t wait to tell my teacher about Fall!” “I can’t wait to tell my teacher all about my backpack, she loves my backpack!” “I can’t wait to tell Mrs. Mills about my acorns!” I’m sure Mrs. Mills gets an earful from Ruby every Tuesday and Thursday.
- On her first day home from school I asked her what she learned about and she said, “We learned about being healthy!” so I asked her what that meant and she said, “Like eating graham crackers and water.” (…ok.)
- “I’m SOOO excited that bursting is quite a possibility, in fact, I’d put it in the ‘quite probably’ category.” This is a line from one of her books – but she says it often. hearing it from a 3-year old kinda takes people by surprise.
- She begins by saying, “Here’s the deal…” which is the same thing Ryan says a lot.
I’ve had a few moms ask how I keep track of this stuff. I just jot these sayings down on the notes app on my phone as they happen, then when I’m ready to post another Rubyisms post I have a bunch saved. Otherwise I’d never remember.